Wednesday, October 6, 2010

My First Post

     I'm an avid lurker of cooking. crafting, and breastfeeding blogs. I never leave comments because I'm always nervous that whatever I write won't be interesting enough for someone else to read. I always wind up kicking myself for not sharing my opinion, experience, or even thank yous because I'm too self-conscious.

     I need to write all of this down. For my sanity, to reflect, and to share with Gem. This is too wonderful a life to keep all to myself.

     Our beautiful baby girl Gem was born on July 11, 2010 to her very happy but nervous Mama Marissa and Daddy. We're living with Daddy's parents, Daddy's sister, her husband, and their twin 20 month olds. Our house may be crowded, but it's full of love. Delicious food is always being made, new wines are tasted, friends visit often, and kisses are currency. I find myself challenged everyday to become a better mother, a better aunt, a better baker. Daddy's sister Ahmee makes jewelry and imports luxury items handmade from Nepal. She bakes homemade bread, tries to organize our chaotic house, and offers me advice all while trying to plan for her business and raise her own babies. Nonni and Nana(Grandma and Grandpa) work very demanding jobs in the medical field, and are often gone for 10-12 hours out of the day. Chacha (Uncle) is still adjusting to living in the United States, as he just moved here from Nepal a month and a half ago. The babies are the sweetest and most stubborn. BB(baby boy) gets into everything sharp, and BG(baby girl) is a momma's girl. They are currently struggling with finding English words and feeding themselves.

     My days right now are spent increasing my milk supply by pumping with a hospital grade pump,reading other blogs, and trying to enjoy all of my cuddling time now. I have a computer next to my bed, and spend way too much time on the internet while I'm nursing Gem. I should embrace it now, because she is easily restless and I know we won't have this much down time for very much longer. I had a very difficult start to breastfeeding, and am very interested in learning about other mothers' experiences and advocating for other breastfeeding moms. We co-sleep, we are working on carrying in different slings, and enjoy taking Gem to visit family, friends, and new places.

     I studied developmental psychology, early childhood education, and special education at the University of Pittsburgh. I was unable to complete my studies due to financial difficulties, but I hope when Daddy finishes school, I will be able to return. For now I'm currently staying at home with Gem, while Daddy finishes college. He's getting his Associates in December, and transferring to a better school to get his BA in elementary education. Daddy is one of the smartest people I know, but loves to laugh. We can have a serious discussion about education reform, politics, and local schools, then go watch South Park and original Star Trek episodes. He is a musician, and sings folk songs to Gem and me whenever the mood strikes him.

    This is only a snapshot of my life right now, but I have so much more to say. For now, here are some actual snapshots of my family:


Baby-faced Daddy and Gem at the hospital. 
Mama and Gem's least favorite way to be held.
I've still got it!  ;)    



Zen Gem in the car.

     That's all I have for today, but I'll leave you with a quote of the day:
 "You know in Alaska they let their babies play with knives." - dedicated to Auntie Emily.

No comments:

Post a Comment